[time-nuts] Linear voltage regulator hints...

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Dec 9 23:51:11 UTC 2014

On 12/9/2014 1:30 PM, ed breya wrote:

> buried zener for lowest noise - this eliminates all the low voltage
> references and three-terminal etc regulators that use band-gap
> references. The down side is that the good kind of reference ICs will
> need a higher (like 10V and up) operating voltage than may be available,
> so that complicates it.

Great post, Ed.  I might add that my understanding of band gap
regulators is that they rely on amplifying a small DC difference
in voltage between two transistors.  This also amplifies the SUM
of the noise of the respective inputs, which jacks up the noise to
much more than a good zener.  Because of physics, no band gap
reference will ever be low noise.

Rick Karlquist N6RK