[time-nuts] up converting 10MHz to 20MHz

Dave M dgminala at mediacombb.net
Wed Dec 10 02:49:39 UTC 2014

lincoln wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm having a dumb idea, I have an MCU that uses a 20 MHz VC-TCXO. The
> micro, among other things, runs a loop and correct the oscillator by
> using a 1pps from a gps. I have a 10 MHz mv200 that I would like to
> try to use. I've got the control voltage handled but i will need to
> multiply its output up to 20 MHz. What would be the most kosher way
> do do this? I was having a look at Cypress's CY22381 because I have
> the programmer but the chips are not widely distributed. But nether
> are mv200's Silicon labs also make all kinds of clock chips as well.
>
> What do you guys think? What would be the best way to scale up by X
> 2? lowish phase noise / jitter is important, low power is not.
>
> Thank you,
> Lincoln

A couple ways to go on a doubler.
Minicircuits makes a line of frequency doublers, such as the SK-2, RK-2,
RK-3, etc.  You could also roll your own using a balun and a diode bridge
(http://www.techlib.com/files/diodedbl.pdf).  Insertion loss is pretty hefty
in both solutions, so you''ll need to follow with a 10-15db amp.

Dave M