[time-nuts] Beaglebone NTP server

Brian Lloyd brian at lloyd.aero
Thu Dec 11 16:21:29 UTC 2014

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Paul <tic-toc at bodosom.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 10:27 AM, Dan Drown <dan-timenuts at drown.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Is this better or worse than other NTP server platforms?  I haven't
> tested
> > them, so I have no idea.
>

> Tharp says his appliance
>
> "can sustain thousands of queries per second. Even under high throughput
> timekeeping operations are never disrupted or perturbed."
>
> But enough of that.
>
> From the time-nut perspective what's the interest in high resolution NTP?
> I mean beyond the "can I do this?" appeal.

We are all time nuts to one degree or another or we wouldn't be here. I
personally want all the clocks in my house, including all the computers (I
have about 10 running at any given moment here), to have time resolution
better than my ability to perceive errors. (To my eye that is about 100ms
for clocks with a sweep second hand.) and in the 1ms-or-better range for
the computers. I want to know that, when two things get time-stamped on
different machines, I can tell which happened first from the point of view
of a DBMS dealing with concurrency issues.

So a stratum 1 server in my house that is independent of my external
internet connectivity seems desirable.

Look, I used to leave WWV running all the time on a receiver. That
background DOOOO DOOOO DOOOO was very reassuring as I moved through the
house watching the sweep second hands ticking in time with WWV. Time to
move forward in true time-nut fashion.

--
Brian Lloyd
Lloyd Aviation