[time-nuts] Linear voltage regulator hints...

ed breya eb at telight.com
Thu Dec 11 17:48:01 UTC 2014

If the plan is to use a three-terminal regulator after all, I'd
suggest not using a low-dropout (LDO) type if the raw input supply is
noisy - the LDOs usually have PNP output transistors (for positive
regulators), so may tend to have poorer HF input ripple rejection
than equivalent ones with NPN passers. At low frequencies this is no
problem since the regulator loop takes care of it, but as the loop
rolls off, the PNP becomes a common-base amplifier, allowing more HF
from the input to pass on through. I alluded to this in my previous
post - from an input HF rejection perspective, it's usually best to
use an NPN passer for positive supplies, and conversely a PNP for
negative, working as an emitter-follower.

If the raw input comes from a switching supply, there will tend to be
a lot of HF ripple, so this could be a concern. If this is the case,
another option is to have a two-stage regulation scheme with as much
pre-regulation and filtering as possible. This of course eats into
the overhead budget, so may not be practical in many situations.

Ed