[time-nuts] 100 MHz VCXOs

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Fri Dec 12 01:18:38 UTC 2014

On 12/11/2014 4:20 PM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> Those OCXO’s were made to the spec’s of an OEM customer. The spec’s are owned by that customer and can not be released without authorization from them. Anybody who wants to stay in the business would be a bit crazy to release somebody else’s intelectual property to the public. That’s not an uncommon issue with surplus OCXO”s. Rouglly 99.9% of them are built to customer spec.
>
> Bob

The reminds me of when I worked for HP.
We had a division that made diodes, which
all had a part number of the form 5082-XXXX.
There was a special series of part numbers
of the form 5082-5XXX that never appeared
in the catalog.  I remember I was working
on a step recovery diode multiplier and was
trying to reverse engineer various multipliers
that were designed into commercial equipment.
I got the HP part number of the diode
which was of the form 5082-5XXX from the
manual and found out that there was no data
available on these part numbers in the HP
internal system.  I called the Microwave
Semiconductor Division and got the story
Bob gave about OEM spec's.  I said, sure I
understand that, but I work for HP.  I was
told that you have to work for MSD, not just
HP to get access to this information, and
in any event, they would NOT sell us these
diodes, even as an internal transfer.

Rick Karlquist N6RK
HP 1979-1999 (then Agilent)