[time-nuts] 100 MHz VCXOs

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Dec 12 01:28:13 UTC 2014

Hi

> On Dec 11, 2014, at 8:18 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist <richard at karlquist.com> wrote:
>

> On 12/11/2014 4:20 PM, Bob Camp wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Those OCXO’s were made to the spec’s of an OEM customer. The spec’s are owned by that customer and can not be released without authorization from them. Anybody who wants to stay in the business would be a bit crazy to release somebody else’s intelectual property to the public. That’s not an uncommon issue with surplus OCXO”s. Rouglly 99.9% of them are built to customer spec.
>>
>> Bob
>>

> The reminds me of when I worked for HP.
> We had a division that made diodes, which
> all had a part number of the form 5082-XXXX.
> There was a special series of part numbers
> of the form 5082-5XXX that never appeared
> in the catalog.  I remember I was working
> on a step recovery diode multiplier and was
> trying to reverse engineer various multipliers
> that were designed into commercial equipment.
> I got the HP part number of the diode
> which was of the form 5082-5XXX from the
> manual and found out that there was no data
> available on these part numbers in the HP
> internal system.  I called the Microwave
> Semiconductor Division and got the story
> Bob gave about OEM spec's.  I said, sure I
> understand that, but I work for HP.  I was
> told that you have to work for MSD, not just
> HP to get access to this information, and
> in any event, they would NOT sell us these
> diodes, even as an internal transfer.

Once upon a time, I worked for a Chicago based company that made both semiconductors and OCXO’s. CTS Knights had a custom OCXO controller IC tooled with the semi side of the business. There was nothing anybody could do to get anywhere near that IC. They would not even admit that they made the part, despite the *very* familiar logo on the can of the part ….

Bob