[time-nuts] Linear voltage regulator hints... --> WHY?

Bob Stewart bob at evoria.net
Fri Dec 12 05:54:46 UTC 2014

Hi Charles,
I hope you don't mind if I throw my two cents in, as this began as a question about my GPSDO project.  We had a thermal drift problem that Dan traced to the PWM to EFC interface and resolved.  The question to the list was whether there was a regulator package that had a built-in reference with good thermal performance.  Somehow the thread went off on all the tangents, which can be good.  In the process it became clear that there weren't any regulators that would fit our needs, so we would have to go with a reference and op-amp etc.  So, now we just need to decide whether to use a pass transistor or a controllable regulator.  The budget will probably result in a 25 or 50 cent pass transistor, a good(ish) op-amp and a reference that's multi-purposed for the board's other needs (ADC, RC integrator, etc).  But it's certainly good to see what the other options are just in case.  And if the project stays a two-off, then there's plenty of leeway to use better parts here and there if the pinouts are the same.

Bob - AE6RV