[time-nuts] Errors on HP 58503A GPS time & frequency reference receiver bought from yixunhk.

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Dec 12 13:30:21 UTC 2014

Hi

> On Dec 12, 2014, at 7:57 AM, Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) <drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk> wrote:
>
> On 11 December 2014 at 01:10, Bob Camp <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I suspect that if you look closely at the board in the unit, it’s got water stains on it ….
>>
>> Bob
>
> This was bugging me too much, so I decided to open it to find out.
> Sure enough, there are rust signs in it.

Ok, that sounds *very* familiar. I suspect I can show you the same damage on other units. My guess is that everybody “over there” is now working from a big pile of parts sitting out in the rain.

If you keep it, the fix (to the degree it can be fixed) is to scrub everything up and get the corrosion (and dirt) off of it. Replace anything that looks to be in lousy shape (ADC input resistors maybe …). I prefer to do the cleaning mostly with alcohol if possible. In some cases that just does not work and you have to use water. If you do, use very clean water. Any time you use solvent, check to be sure it’s not going to dissolve any of the plastic. I avoid a “dunk and soak” on modern gear because of the risk with plastics. Yes that’s paranoia speaking.

Once you are done with the cleaning, dry it well. I put things in a warm oven (maybe at 50C) for a few hours. There is a bit of debate about spraying them after the dry with a sealer of some sort. I don’t, others do.

Bob