[time-nuts] Homebrew frequency counter, need help

Li Ang lllaaa at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 15:40:45 UTC 2014

Hi Bob,
    The job done by linear regression is to reduce the uncertainty. This
counter is designed to use continous timestamp method. My current design
can measure 9000 times/second. If I only use the 1st and last one to
calculate, it's the traditional recipocal + interploator method. This is
what you can see on the chart named "without linear regression". The
uncertainty of slope(the frequency ratio of ref and signal ) is contributed
by these 2 measurements. With linear regression of all 9000 data within one
second, the uncertainty will reduced to smaller one. (I really can't
remember the ratio. Something like sqrt(9000)).

while(1) {
        double t3;  //fraction part of refcnt, measured by tdc_gp22
        double ref_curr;
        uint32_t sig_curr;
        static double ref_start;
        static uint32_t sig_start;
        uint32_t refcnt, sigcnt;
        const uint32_t gate_time = 1000; // 1000ms gate time

        if (i == 0) {
                init_regression(&rv);
                cpld_rst();
                timestamp(&refcnt, &sigcnt, &t3);
                ref_start = refcnt - t3;
                sig_start = sigcnt;
                i++;
                continue;
        }

        timestamp(&refcnt, &sigcnt, &t3);

        regression_enter_data(&rv, refcnt - t3 - ref_start, sigcnt - sig_start);
        if (msecond < gate_time) {
            i++;
            continue;
        } else  {
                t = regression_slope(&rv) ; // with linear regression
                printf("\r\nFreq=%.*f", 14, t);
                ref_curr = refcnt - t3;
                sig_curr = sigcnt;

                t = CalcFreq(ref_curr - ref_start, sig_curr -
sig_start); // without linear regression
                printf(" Interpolated=%.*f", 12, t);

                msecond = 0;
              i = 0;
        }