[time-nuts] Ventilation of HP 58503A GPS time & frequency reference receiver

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Sat Dec 13 11:13:13 UTC 2014

I have a counterfeit 58503A which appears to run warmer than I would
have expected. I'm not sure if this may be by design, or if there is a
fault, or maybe there is simply not enough ventilation slots in this
fake case. Please see the attached pictures, and let me know if you
think that it is reasonable.

About 6 mm inside the sides of the case there is metal, which probably
means there will not be a lot of convection.

I attach a couple of pictures. To keep the size down, these are
compressed quite a bit, so the quality is not great. But it should be
enough to see the slots.

Dave