[time-nuts] Errors on HP 58503A GPS time & frequency reference receiver b...

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Sat Dec 13 13:29:01 UTC 2014

On 13 December 2014 at 13:03, Bert Kehren via time-nuts
<time-nuts at febo.com> wrote:
> Ebay does not protect buyers and it is understandable. Look at the # of
> your buys and the # of the seller. I can tell you horror stories and in the
> case  of
> _ggg*fitting_ (http://www.ebay.com/usr/ggg*fitting?_trksid=p2047675.l2559)
> when I posted a  negative review refused me a refund after I send back the
> defective used 5680  advertised as new. I did have the emails ebay did
> nothing.

I think you are just going about it the wrong way in that case. I am
no fan of eBay, but if you play by their rules and return the item,
you will get a refund.

You have an extra line of defense if you pay on a credit card, but I
have never needed to use that.

I have not in recent years had any problems getting refunds for bad items.

The best tip I can give you is not to send the item back until eBay
tell you, and use the address they give you - not one the seller may
ask you to send it to. If you can prove you dispatched the item to the
seller, at the address eBay give you, then you will get a refund.

I once paid £80 for a 100 W ultrasonic cleaner, which drew about 50 W
from the mains, so short of it being a perpetual motion machine, it
was not up to the specification. That cost me £50 to send back to
China, which I was ****ed off about. The seller would not pay the
import duties, so I asked UPS to destroy it. I got my money back from
eBay, simply because they see I sent it.

Of course, spending £50 to send back an item that did at least work to
some extent may seem illogical, but there was a principle at stake.

Now things are much better for buyers, as sellers have to pay the
shipping both ways if an item is not as described. To quote from

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/return-item.html#shipping-charges

"If you're returning an item because it isn't as described in the
listing, the seller is responsible for return shipping charges,
regardless of the seller's return policy. "

I'm sorry, I don't think there is any reasonable excuse for not
getting a refund, and not leaving negative feedback.

At least with ggg*fitting his feedback is quite poor, but with yixunhk
there is 100% positive feedback, which is why I feel time-nuts should
be doing more when they know yixunhk is sellling fakes.

Dave