[time-nuts] Linear voltage regulator hints...

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Sun Dec 14 03:00:54 UTC 2014

tvb wrote:

>But, you're right, it *is* a really good idea, and of course we all
>know the Trimble Thunderbolt does it this way. One reason why it's
>always the #1 favorite GPSDO among time nuts.

That and the fact that the PLL loop parameters can be fiddled over
RS232.  Certainly, I'm surprised that the better-grade commercial
GPSDOs don't do it, but I'm downright flabbergasted that time nuts
don't do their DIY projects that way.  It's a huge trick to miss.

>Note that most high-end GNSS timing receivers go one better and
>simply have an external input for the clock. That way you feed your
>own lab clock into the receiver. If you have Rb/Cs/maser you would
>use that as the reference. It's what the national timing labs do,
>along with dual-frequency and post-processing and all the other
>tricks of the trade.

I'm still waiting for the TAPR buy of such receivers, $250 each fully
checked by someone named Tom....

Best regards,

Charles