[time-nuts] Which First GPSDO to buy?

Jim Harman j99harman at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 03:21:51 UTC 2014

On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 9:36 PM, Bob Camp <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:

> The problem with “build it yourself” is that there is no way do know if
> you got it right unless you have something to compare your design to. You
> *will* make mistakes as you build one of these….

I think you will have the same problem with an off-the-shelf unit if you
don't have at least one reference for comparison. However speaking from
experience with Lars Walenius' Arduino-based design, I can say that it is
not hard to make a working system, even without another reference. Along
the way you will learn a tremendous amount about how these systems work,
plus a lot about Arduino programming.

Lars' design will run stand-alone, but if you want it can send very useful
logging data to a PC, much more informative than a "locked" led on a
commercial unit.

Total cost including processor, Adafruit GPS shield, and $25.00 ebay OCXO
is about $100.00

--

--Jim Harman