[time-nuts] Frequency distribution isolation transformers YCL20F001n arrived

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Dec 14 17:22:36 UTC 2014

Hi

If you get the whole magnetics package (and not just a transformer) it probably will have a pretty good common mode choke in it. If you go back to the days of coax ethernet, the choke was more the “magic” that let them go to twisted pair than the transformer.

Why does this matter?

Well … we seem to still be stuck back in the “coax ethernet” era when it comes to standard distribution. Every time somebody brings up a need to go hundreds of feet, coax becomes a second choice sort of solution. That’s even more true for a pps. Don’t toss out the rest of the magnetics when you salvage one of these old beasts …

Why mention pps? There are more than one isolated pair on those connectors. You would need to modulate the pps onto something at one end and demodulate it at the other end. There are a lot of cheap ways to do that, very much so if you are generating the pps yourself in something on the transmitting end.

Bob