[time-nuts] Ventilation of HP 58503A GPS time & frequency reference receiver

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Sun Dec 14 19:46:11 UTC 2014

On 14 December 2014 at 19:32, Bob Camp <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:

>> There are not the usual 3 holes underneath where feet go.
>
> I understand that they are different. The problem is the same though. Pulling a box in and out of a rack with feet or bumpers on it is a pain. They often get “lost” early in the instrument’s life. Often it’s a standard process on all gear as it comes into the facility.  All of the un-needed bits and pieces go into a big pile. When the feet (or whatever) are found later in life they may or may not be re-installed correctly. They might not even be the ones that came with the instrument.
>
> Bob

I am not sure if you are following me. On most (all??) HP kit I have
seen, there are 3 holes at each corner of the bottom, where is
possible to fit feet if one is going to use it on a desktop, rather
than a rack. This unit does not have those holes, so it would be
impossible to fit the usual HP feet on it.

Looking around, I have 15 bits of HP kit,  all of which have holes in
the corner for feet. But this 58503A, with the Chinese box, does not
have the holes. I don't know whether the 85053A is supposed to have
them, or whether this is just a flaw in the design of the counterfeit.

Dave