[time-nuts] Ventilation of HP 58503A GPS time & frequency reference receiver

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Dec 14 20:09:15 UTC 2014

Hi

The desktop version (with handle) used the rubber “bumper” wrap around for feet. The bumpers got pulled when they were rack mounted. The ones that got put back on may or may not be identical to the originals. That’s a very normal part of the surplus process. The 100% correct HP original case on the box as HP built it did not use the clip on feet.

The reason for this is pretty simple. The Z3801 / Z3805 came before the “instrument” versions of the same products. The internal case structure is same/ same. The instrument simply gets a gray sheet metal jacket that fits around the Z38xx box. That’s the way HP designed it. Since its just a jacket, it gets feet as part of the bumpers. Most of these (likely 99%) got rack mounted and the feet / bumpers were tossed. I have a *lot* of very legit surplus HP gear that did not come with feet or bumpers.

Bob