[time-nuts] Linear voltage regulator hints...

dan at irtelemetrics.com dan at irtelemetrics.com
Sun Dec 14 20:38:59 UTC 2014

     Yeah, I guess it's all relative. :) I do agree it is a HUGE
change compared to what the GPS should see in normal operation. The
same blast of air can be pointed at the GPSDO board for 20 seconds and
see no change. On high at the oscillator for 60+ seconds with no change
is apparent. The GPS is what responds.
  Does this mean anthing? It's well beyond what the GPS should see, so
I doubt it. Is the GPS the most sensitive part in the system right now?
Maybe. But, Bob could be correct that the OCXO is the sensitive part.
  The PWM DAC used to respond like the GPS to temp changes. Using 'heat
and watch' found it. Addressing it has cut overall temp sensitivity
down by more than a factor of 10. I consider that a measurable
change. Any temp sensitivity left is really small, and wonder if it
can be addressed with the hardware and tools at hand.
  My gut feeling is you are right about the GPS time base being
sensitive. It would be fun to hack into this and try clocking it off
the OCXO, but I'm not there yet! :)   I might try some good old
'overkill' and put the GPS in it's own heavy aluminum box. It's been a
thought for a while, and should address the thermal integration and
time constants you referred to. For this system, it's doubtful that an
underground bomb proof bunker is needed. ;)
  I'd like to learn more about what testing could be done and would be
more than happy to discuss this off line, if anyone is interested.
 This thread has probably out lived it's useful life.

  Thanks,
  Dan