[time-nuts] Set time on Solaris computer from HP 58503A

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Dec 14 22:00:01 UTC 2014

> 1) Downloaded ntp-4.2.6p5

If you are going to compile it (rather than use whatever comes with your
system), please use the Release Candidate version from:
  http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Main/SoftwareDownloads

[Anybody else willing to help...  This is your chance.  If you find bugs,
submit a bug report and/or poke me off list.]

> and also the directory /dev/fd

That's something else.  I don't know what they are.  My guess would be
something associated with the file system.

> That I am not sure how to configure ntp.conf - a case of RTFM.

It's probably as simple as adding
  server 127.127.26.0
but read the driver26.html page

You also need something like:
  ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/hpgps0

> How do you reboot - apart from of course powering the thing off?

Yes.  Power cycle.

> E-101>  :PTIME:TCODE?
> T2201412141234413000037

You can sanity check the UTC/GPS by eyeball.  They are 16 seconds apart.

You can clear the E-101 (and get back to scpi) by sending:
  *CLS

> I know those commands, although I don't recommend "reboot" - it is less
> clean than init 6. I assumed that that Hal Murry's "reboot" was meant to be
> the GPS receiver, not the Solaris computer, but maybe I mis-understood.

Yes.  Power cycle the GPSDO.  At least on the Z3801A, it's stored in flash.
You only have to do it once.

I think there is a software command to reboot.  I don't have it handy.
Mostly, I work from the Z3801A manual.  A few things don't work on the
KS-24361.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.