[time-nuts] Connections for FE-5680A rubidium sources

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Tue Dec 16 10:22:29 UTC 2014

I have a couple of Rb sources bought from China or Hong Kong a year or
two ago. I'd like to fix these up. Initially in a box where I can
adjust them to frequency manually, but perhaps later lock them to GPS.
Looking around the web, there are countless options on these things,
and different connection diagrams. Can anyone tell me what these are.
I have attached a picture of one. I have doctored the picture ab bit
so there are large arears of one shade, so the images compress quite a
bit. Essentially they are rather dirty looking metal boxes with rather
dirty white labels on, but such detail is not needed.

The big label says:

FE-5680A
FEI P/N 217400-303520-1

The smaller label with the barcode differs a bit between the two units.

1)  FE-5680A UN 61391 S/N 02444-57246 (on the one I photographed)
2)  FE-??80A UN 66794 S/N 0340-66253 (can't quite read all of it, but
I assume the missing characters are "56".

There is a small adjustment screw on the right, and a 9-pin
D-connector, with the lead cut at about 40 mm from the connector.

I can open one up and take a picture internally if need be.

Dave