[time-nuts] Simple AC mains zero-cross detector

Tom Harris celephicus at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 22:26:47 UTC 2014

I actually needed to do real ZCD for thyristor switching off incredibly
noisy bad AC suppplies used down mines in third world countries. I used a
digital PLL to lock to the AC line volts waveform with a simple detector
with a threshold of 50V set by a zener driving an opto. I think the loop
time constant was set very slow, several seconds as the AC came from a
gererator so very slow to change as you have the inertia of the massive
armature in the generator. Logging this over several days on the mains
network showed it slowing slightly during the day and then speeding up at
night to give the right number of cycles per day. It was insensitive to
voltage. We did find that isolating the zener & opto via a transformer gave
a temperature dependant phase shift, exactly what you don't want for
switching thyristors.

Tom Harris <celephicus at gmail.com>