[time-nuts] Choke Rings and Points North

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Dec 19 00:34:20 UTC 2014

Hi

Here is some actual RF data on a number of antennas:

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/ANTCAL/

There also is a pretty good document on how the calibration is performed.

It appears that if you are after ps or mm then a calibration file on the antenna type being used is needed. Pointing north to be able to use that file would be a requirement. If we ever get into the sub ns world for Time Nuts time transfer, calibrated antennas may be needed.

————

*IF* an uncalibrated antenna is much worse than the survey antennas, then you might get into the couple of ns level as the sat’s moved around. Still not a real big deal for a GPSDO. Un-corrrected ionosphere issues versus angle will be a larger issue.

Bob