[time-nuts] Downloaded HP"s SmartClock / Size of Lucent modules.

Didier Juges shalimr9 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 19:48:57 UTC 2014

Clearly off-topic, but hopefully it will stop here...

The Dell supplies use a 3 wire cable and have a resistor in the power
supply connecting the 3rd wire to ground. The value of that resistor tells
the laptop the current capability of the supply (they have various models
between 3.0 and 4.5A) so that the laptop can determine if it will have
enough current to run. This is mostly applicable when the laptop is plugged
into a docking station, because the current demand is then quite a bit
higher. If the laptop cannot read the resistor value, it may refuse to run
(or ask you to press F1 to force it to run anyhow) The 3rd wire is pretty
small (because it carries negligible current) and it is sometimes the first
one to break. You are then left with a perfectly usable 19.5V power supply
that cannot power a Dell laptop but that is fine for many GPSDO and Rb
oscillators :)

Didier KO4BB