[time-nuts] Are these PRS10's worth it ?

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Dec 30 14:17:44 UTC 2014

Hi

There is a lot of *stuff* in an Rb beyond just the lamp. It *could* be as simple as a VCXO centering adjustment. It also could be an alignment adjustment. I don’t believe there are any schematics out there on these devices, so it’s a “trace it out and see” sort of fix. Even with the schematic, if it’s an alignment (peak this / dip that / back off 1/8th turn) process there are no documents on any of the Rb’s for that stuff.

If you want a science project, something like an FRK probably has easier access to the insides. There also are more people who have poked around in them.

Personally I’d just wait for the next flood of $60 +/- $25 working parts to hit the market and stock up then. You are likely looking at getting two or three of the non-working parts to come up with one working one. That sort of money will buy a pretty good pile of the others.

Bob