[time-nuts] How to open solder-sealed OCXOs?

J. Forster jfor at quikus.com
Sun Feb 2 15:49:18 UTC 2014

IMO, the easiest way (non-destructive too!0 is with a high wattage iron or
250 W gun, solder wick or a solder sucker, and an X-Acto knife.

Start in the middle of one side. Heat the joint area and suck out as much
of the solder from the joint area as you can. Slip the knife in the joint
and pry gently after sucking to prevent any residual solder from bridging
the gap. when that area has cooled, move left or right and work your way
around the can. Eventually, when almost all the solder is out, gentle
prying at the joint will pop the top off.

Work slowly and patriently and you'll be able to resolder the can just
about as new.

-John