[time-nuts] Replacement fan in SR620

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Sun Feb 2 20:58:40 UTC 2014

Magnus wrote:

>Also, the fan-noise did not change a lot by drying to damp the top
>lid, so it seems the fan emits it mostly as a direct mode.
>
>The older unit has a high hiss to its fan

That is what I have observed, as well.  The noise is mostly fan blade
noise and some bearing noise coming directly out the back of the
unit.  I did not find that the inlet vents were a significant source
of noise, or that increasing the inlet area caused the fan itself to
run quieter.

You probably wouldn't notice a substantial noise reduction until you
got down to a fan with a 15-18 dBA noise rating, and that would move
so little air that you'd probably fry the counter.  The Papst fan has
about the same noise rating as the original Delta, so I wouldn't
expect changing the fan to have a big effect on the amount of noise
(but, as you say, the noise spectrum may be different).

Best regards,

Charles