[time-nuts] TimeLab and the Adev plot

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Feb 3 22:28:10 UTC 2014

On 03/02/14 01:19, Azelio Boriani wrote:
> Magnus, please, can you elaborate this:
> > A common mistake is to assume you can average it out, but that gives you a different measure which does not
> > represent the ADEV values you are comparing with. The time between samples will scale down the relative impact of
> > the time-noise, but not really average it.
> That is, have I to increase the time between samples or take samples
> and average them? For example, go from samples every second to samples
> every 2 seconds or average two samples every second to obtain a sample
> every 2 seconds. The last method will (apparently) increase the
> resolution...

What I am saying in the first sentence is that taking the average of
samples does not give you improved limit, but just add filtering which
makes low-tau ADEV values which is biased to look better than the real
ADEV for that measurement is.

In the second sentence, I make the point that when you take two sample
values, at various taus, you really do not average them but rather make
their time stability contribution (trigger jitter and resolution) less
important relative to the tau between them. This is by itself not an
averaging effect.

Cheers,
Magnus