[time-nuts] ECL Discussion: The On Semi MC100LVEL34 (/2/4/8 Prescaler/Divider)

John C. Westmoreland, P.E. john at westmorelandengineering.com
Wed Feb 5 07:48:24 UTC 2014

Hello,

I was wondering how many of you have experience with this ECL part from On
Semi:
MC100LVEL34 ?

The url is:  http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/product.do?id=MC100LVEL34

I did search the archive - via Google - last discussion I saw was the new
clock distribution
part from Linear regarding ECL in this group.

Specs on the MC100LVEL34 look nice; prop delay is good (< 1 ns), jitter (<
1 ps), and On
Semi told me phase noise is expected to be -150dBc/Hz.  ON also mentioned
to me that
they will start including phase noise figures with these parts soon (ECL).

I was looking at the Peregine 3513 also - looks like a good part too; so do
the ones from
Hittite (GaAs).  Peregrine does have a paper discussing Normalized Phase
Noise in UltraCMOS
Devices, but I don't see that speced for the PE3513.

The Hittite HMC434/434E does spec Phase Noise at:
Ultra Low SSB Phase Noise: -150 dBc/Hz

Another ECL part that looks like it would make a nice RF switch is the:
 MC100EP58.

Thanks and Regards,
John Westmoreland