[time-nuts] BC637PCI and OCXO

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Fri Feb 7 19:55:19 UTC 2014

Sounds like you cracked it, and beat me to it:-)

I just dug out a PCI expansion chassis, the quickest option for now,  and
have one card up and running but have discovered, as a left over from  my
playing earlier, that installing the later software, what Symmetricom calls
its "BC635/637 configurator program", causes earlier versions of the software
to  fail at startup, even with the latest one uninstalled, so that's
something to  watch out for:-(

The later stuff does seem to offer all the options of the earlier software
though, and as you've no doubt discovered the oscillator parameters you
mention  are accessed through the BC635 software rather than the BC637 version.

On the version I'm running at least, verion 10 of the "configurator" at the
 moment, there is a menu option to switch between internal and external
oscillators on the Hardware menu in "standard" configuration and the other
options as you say are available in  "advanced" with the  oscillator switching
no longer showing.

Interesting to see the rolling time displayed down to microseconds,
although my eyes do struggle a bit to keep up with that, but rather a shame that
for now I seem to be stuck in June 1994!

I am getting the impression though that this particular software is
expecting a later version of the card, this card is showing in Device  Manager as
a BC635/7PCI-eV2, which it certainly isn't, and the software is  offering to
adjust the DDS frequency for me, which would be nice but I don't  remember
it having DDS either.

Time to have a software clearout methinks and to start over.

Have fun:-)

Nigel
GM8PZR

In a message dated 07/02/2014 19:12:34 GMT Standard Time, time at patoka.org