[time-nuts] BC637PCI and OCXO

d0ct0r time at patoka.org
Fri Feb 7 23:02:40 UTC 2014

As far as I understood, in many modes (except GPS mode), we need to set
date/time manually.

Also, I found the link for the "direct" oscillator replacement part:

http://www.mti-milliren.com/pdfs/210.pdf

I think in the documentation, Symmitricom mentioned this particular
model. Now I know how it looks like. But unfortunately its not
"straight" process just to use my Hakko to exchange the crystals. Its
required to change the microcode as well. So, that is not an option. The
only way is to use external OCXO connected to pin 1 of the 15-pin
connector. And I'll try it.

Thank you all for all the information !

Regards,
V.P.

On 2014-02-07 14:55, GandalfG8 at aol.com wrote:
> Sounds like you cracked it, and beat me to it:-)
>
> I just dug out a PCI expansion chassis, the quickest option for now,
> and
> have one card up and running but have discovered, as a left over from
> my
> playing earlier, that installing the later software, what Symmetricom
> calls
> its "BC635/637 configurator program", causes earlier versions of the
> software
> to  fail at startup, even with the latest one uninstalled, so that's
> something to  watch out for:-(
>
> The later stuff does seem to offer all the options of the earlier
> software
> though, and as you've no doubt discovered the oscillator parameters you
> mention  are accessed through the BC635 software rather than the BC637
> version.
>
> On the version I'm running at least, verion 10 of the "configurator" at
> the
>  moment, there is a menu option to switch between internal and external
> oscillators on the Hardware menu in "standard" configuration and the
> other
> options as you say are available in  "advanced" with the  oscillator
> switching
> no longer showing.
>
> Interesting to see the rolling time displayed down to microseconds,
> although my eyes do struggle a bit to keep up with that, but rather a
> shame that
> for now I seem to be stuck in June 1994!
>
> I am getting the impression though that this particular software is
> expecting a later version of the card, this card is showing in Device
> Manager as
> a BC635/7PCI-eV2, which it certainly isn't, and the software is
> offering to
> adjust the DDS frequency for me, which would be nice but I don't
> remember
> it having DDS either.
>
> Time to have a software clearout methinks and to start over.
>
> Have fun:-)
>
> Nigel
> GM8PZR

> time at patoka.org
> writes:
>

> Now  I have the plan. Thanks !
>
> I'll try to connect external OCXO to that  15-pin connector, then using
> provided utility, I could switch to external  oscillator.
>
> I think here is settings for externally connected source of  10Mhz:
>
> 12. Select Clock Source ->
> 0.  Internal
> 1. External
>
> Probably I'll need to do some  adjustment using so-called "Advanced
> settings":
>
> Advanced  Menu:
>
> 1. Control Jam-Sync
> 2. Force Jam-Sync

> [...]