[time-nuts] Line Frequency

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Mon Feb 10 01:19:28 UTC 2014

Simon,

Good, you decided to make a time stamping counter instead of a frequency counter then?

On your spec -- 1e-5 precision of what? Of time accuracy? Or frequency accuracy? And over what time frame?

The power line will give you 1e-5 stability at one second intervals; but this precision is destroyed as you average longer and longer (due to the rather significant variation in frequency that occurs in the grid). By one minute or one hour it's 1e-4. It takes a couple of days of averaging to get back down to 1e-5 precision. The way to see this is with an ADEV of the power line frequency:
http://leapsecond.com/pages/mains/mains-picpet-23.gif

I'm not sure about your +/- 1 Hz filtering suggestion. I don't do that here. But maybe your use for mains is different from mine. Do you want to use the power line as a reference time to slowly steer a drifting quartz oscillator over a month or year? Or do you want to make measurements of power line phase and frequency to make pretty real-time plots like Hal and I and others do?

/tvb
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: M. Simon
  To: time-nuts at febo.com ; tvb at leapsecond.com
  Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2014 4:27 PM
  Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Line Frequency

  Tom,

  I was hoping for  1E-5 precision or better. My time stamping counter will have a 30 MHz clock (for convenience). My initial experiments will just set the 30 MHz clock to within about .1 ppm and ultimately I will sync it with GPS so I can track phase long term.  In fact for quick, dirty, and cheap I will probably use a 10 ppm packaged oscillator with no adjustment. The ones I have checked out so far seem to be about +/- 2 ppm or so at room temperature.

  I like your idea (well you made me think of it) of filtering with time stamps. Only stamps within +/- 1 Hz of the line frequency are accepted (or what ever seems reasonable given grid limits). I would probably need a "loss of line voltage" circuit in addition. That is not a drawback. But  "loss of line voltage" might be done in software as well.

  Simon