[time-nuts] BC637PCI 1024 week rollover

d0ct0r time at patoka.org
Wed Feb 12 02:49:01 UTC 2014

Just to confirm: As I was able to connect my new antenna to BC637PCI
card, its starts to produce "incorrect" date stamp:

Binary Time: 06/29/1994  02:32:46.7585224   Status: 7
Binary Time: 06/29/1994  02:32:46.7685866   Status: 7

So, it is June 29, 1994. The time is accurate though.

GPS PACKET 46 - GPS HEALTH PACKET

GPS PACKET 41 - GPS TIME PACKET
Seconds of Week: 268765.28
GPS Week Number: 1779
GPS/UCT Offset:  16.00

I'll review the code for NTP. Likely I'l be able to do workaround for
this issue.

Meantime, when I run Lady Heather in parallel with time monitor for
BC637PCI I often see the difference in number of seconds. May be its
because my T-Bolt is not disciplined yet. But its strange any way. I
attached screen shot to this message.

Regards,

V.P.

On 2014-02-11 14:06, GandalfG8 at aol.com wrote:
> [...]
>> their
>> BC637PCI-U
>> own brand replacement in  2004.
>>
>> What I do find intriguing though is that your Packet 41  data is
>> returning
>> the correct GPS week number and Leap Second  offset when there's no
>> antenna
>> connected, how the heck does  it do that?:-)
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Nigel
>>  GM8PZR
>>

>> In a message dated 11/02/2014  16:36:21 GMT Standard Time,
>> time at patoka.org
>> writes:
>>

>> I  figured out why GPS FW information was not available  by request.
>> do
>> such requests BC637PCI needs to be in "GPS  MODE". If I run the
>> request
>> in "Free Run", it return the error code.  Here is FW infomation from
>> my
>> GPS module:
>>
>> GPS Packet  Menu
>>
>> 1. Request Packet 41 -  Gps Time Packet
>> 2.  Request Packet 42 - Gps Position Packet
>> 3. Request Packet 46 - Gps  Health Packet
>> 4. Request Packet 45 - Gps  FW
>> 0. Back to  main menu
>>
>> Select:  1
>>
>> GPS PACKET 41 -  GPS TIME PACKET
>>
>> Seconds of Week:  232505.89
>> GPS  Week Number: 1779
>> GPS/UCT Offset:   16.00
>>
>>  Select: 4
>>
>> GPS PACKET 45 - GPS  FW
>>
>> FW:  08-08, 04/01/2000 : 10-16, 04/01/2000
>>
>> If its correct,   than I have pretty old GPS module. I got my GPS
>> antenna,
>>  however it has  N-type connector on it. Now I need to find the way
>> connect it to  SMA.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>  V.P.
>>
>> On 2014-02-10 18:51, GandalfG8 at aol.com   wrote:
>>> In a message dated 10/02/2014 21:56:25 GMT Standard   Time,
>>> magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org writes:

>>> take a

>>>  it
>>>
>>> Yes. We have seen week 500  and  week  512 occuring.
>>>
>>> Considering this simple  code:
>>>
>>> if (gpsweek  < 500)
>>> gpsweek  += 1024;
>>>
>>>  This means that GPS week  500 to  1023 maps straight and truncated
>>> GPS
>>> week 0 to  499 is mapped to GPS  week 1024 to 1523.
>>>
>>>  However, when GPS week 1524 occurs, GPS week 500 is   transmitted,
>>> so
>>> receivers jump from GPS week 1523 to GPS week 500 and   the  NMEA
>>> readout
>>> date jumps 19.3 years.  Woops.
>>>
>>>  The interesting thing is  that the  GPS otherwise operate properly,
>>> as
>>> it
>>> is only the  read-out date  which goes wrong, not the  internal gears
>>> of
>>> the GPS, so the leap second  applied will  be  the current and not
>>> one
>>> from 19  years  ago.
>>>   -------------------------------------
>>> Yes, that's what I was  seeing,  anything received by the GPS module
>>> was
>>>  passed through correctly, week  number, leap seconds, etc, it was
>>> what
>>> the BC637
>>>  did  with it after that  wasn't quite so helpful.
>>>   -------------------------------------

>>>  Good. :)

>>>  given production
>>>   mean
>>>
>>>  It's  arbitrary. It could  be from writing the code to just before
>>>  certain batch. Who knows.  Adjusting it is  trivial.

>>> It's arbitrary. Considering  that  GPS week 500 and GPS week 512
>>> have
>>>  been
>>> found in  equipment, and these are not "random numbers",  it seems
>>> like
>>> random pick  early in the design.

>>> that might

>>>  time
>>>
>>> Good, now you learned  something.   :)
>>> ------------------------
>>> Certainly seems that way,  perhaps  the old brain cell does  still
>>> fire
>>>  up
>>> now and again  after all:-)
>>>
>>> I was  quite surprised though just how little a  Google search threw
>>> up
>>> on
>>> 1024 week offsets, however I worded  it I  got plenty of hits
>>> regarding
>>> the