[time-nuts] Arduino GPSDO with 1ns res TIC

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 08:06:38 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 11:29 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net>wrote:

> albertson.chris at gmail.com said:
> > It might be fun to see what I can do with a cheap $1 10Mhz crystal rather
> > then using an OCXO.
>
> They make good thermometers.  Holdover will be crappy if you can't measure
> temperature or don't have an environment with a stable temperature.

Yes you get poor results with a cheap crystal but it's just for software
testing.  When used inside a GPSDO it only has to "hold over" for one
second until the next correction.   I was thinking it might be best to use
a poor quality VXO so I don't have to wait hours to exercise the control
loop.  Software testing I think would progress quicker.
--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California