[time-nuts] Fwd: Atmega?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 18:09:12 UTC 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Chris Albertson <albertson.chris at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 8:58 AM
Subject: Re: Atmega?

I posted this off list, but I'm reposting on the list with mnor edits.  I
think there might be people looking to buy stuff.  If so here are some links

The real Arduinos are made in Italy, not China.  Nothing wrong with the
lower priced clones BUT you need to understand what you are getting and the
differences.   If you just want to  "load and go" and not have to make
changes for pin-numbers, different resistor values and other little things
then by the real product.  If you don't have the cash, buy a clone that
claims to be an "Uno" (Italian for one) and you need the ATmega328P chip.

This is a good place to buy a real Arduino
http://www.adafruit.com/products/50
and then one of these:
http://www.adafruit.com/products/51

However ebay #300948763268 looks like a clone of a late model Uno  (as it
has the two extra pins the new Unos have) for 1/2 the normal price.

But DO get the "proto-shield" board.  The reason is the hole spacing on the
Arduiino Uno is NOT standard and some 0.1 headers are not on a standard 0.1
inch grid.  You can use perf-board but you will be drilling a extra holes
between existing holds.  You see all those 0.1 headers and think standard
pegboard can work but  notice two of the connects are 0.15 apart which
places one of them off the normal grid.

eBay has the PCBs for this too see #310670122595.

The tiny ones like this (eBay #221326355393) are attractive but not if the
goal is "load and go" with no changes.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California