[time-nuts] Now For Something Completely Different...GPS Security

Brian Lloyd brian at lloyd.com
Fri Feb 14 14:49:46 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 8:14 AM, Paul <tic-toc at bodosom.net> wrote:

> Perhaps my browser is too conservative but it looks like you have to be a
> subscriber to read the Financial Times article.
>
> Here's one about eLoran vs. GPS jammers which has some security
> implications.
>
> http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2014/02/13/revamping-an-old-technology-to-jam-the-gps-jammers/

Yes. I thought it criminally stupid when the US shut down its LORAN
service. I thought that Galileo, with its eLORAN backup and distribution of
WAAS data, was brilliant. For aviation the US kept its antiquated network
of VORs and discarded LORAN, even though the annual maintenance and
operation costs were about the same for both.  And LORAN provides more
accurate positioning than VOR (but not DME-DME and no one bothers to use
DME-DME, go figure).

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
706 Flightline Drive