[time-nuts] GPS accuracy specs

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 21:06:33 UTC 2014

I think the most common interpretation is that the first standard deviation
of the error is 10ns.

But many times this applies only after you have applied a correction based
on the sawtooth function and the cable lengths   And even then only with a
clear view of the sky and a correct antenna.

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 11:55 AM, Jimmy D. Burrell <jimmydburr at gmail.com>wrote:

> I've looked at several different manufacturer GPS datasheets now regarding
> the 1 PPS output in an attempt to compare apples to apples. Some of them
> rate their 1 PPS output as something on the order of "PPS signals have an
> accuracy ranging 10ns" which seems ambiguous. Does that mean the leading
> edge of their 1PPS is within 10ns of the GPS clock? Or simply that the
> stability of their 1 PPS is within 10ns? Or both?
>
> Perhaps there's an industry standard for these specs of which I'm unaware?
>
> The datasheet for my (presumably much older) Globalsat ER-102 seems, to me
> at least, to be much more clear stating "time reference at the pulse
> leading edge aligned to GPS sec., +/- 1 us". Which I interpret as the
> leading edge of my receiver's 1PPS is aligned with the GPS's clock to
> within +/- 1 us.
>
> Jim...
> N5SPE

Chris Albertson