[time-nuts] GPS accuracy specs

Said Jackson saidjack at aol.com
Sun Feb 16 23:53:29 UTC 2014

There are two numbers that need to be specified, one is relative (back and forth wander around some fixed offset) one is absolute (how close to the real UTC pulse is it?).

Most of the time relative stability is given which is the first number, and one has no idea how much unit to unit offset and offset to UTC there is. Unless you sit at the USNO or NIST office there really is no way to tell how much offset to the real UTC your receiver has.

Please note that almost all GPS receivers I know claim to generate UTC time not GPS time. There can be up to 100ns offset between the two but lately the offset is held at around 10ns or less.

Having access to a lot of GPS receivers, I can say that the Motorola M12M is very close to the ublox receivers (better than 20ns on typical units), and a typical ublox to ublox offset would be about 5ns on the timing units with SBAS in position hold mode.

The days where GPS receivers only had 1us stability or accuracy are long gone and today even typical navigation receivers achieve better than 25ns accuracy and stability.

Can you get down to 2ns stability? Supposedly with the M2M using sawtooth correction. But who knows what the offset to UTC is on late model iLotus M2M..

Not an issue since most receivers have antenna delay correction features that lets a user fine-tune the UTC offset to some reference if that is desired so you can tune a batch of GPS to within 1ns of each other on the bench.

Bye,
Said

Sent From iPhone