[time-nuts] New WWVB modulation format receivers (NOT)

Bob Albert bob91343 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 21 06:54:26 UTC 2014

My TS-940S acts as though it receives okay at 60 kHz.  Not great sensitivity but it does receive.

Most HP GPS receivers are expensive ($400?).  I was hoping to get some results with what I have, although I'm willing to cobble up some circuitry.

I assume if I can receive the signal, I can figure out how to decode it and/or use it as is.  How does one use a 1 pps signal to get precise frequency measurement?  Maybe use it as a time base for a counter?  My counter has 1 pps as well as 0.1 pps for 10-second count.  I would assume signal fading would cause some timing uncertainty due to finite rise and fall time.  And at 60 kHz I think rise and fall time would be long.

I will look through the archives.

Bob

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:12 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

jimlux at earthlink.net said:
> I sample at 100 kHz with 16 bits on a teensy3..

Neat.  Thanks.  How many effective bits?  (when the input signal is 60 KHz it
that matters)

Can somebody give me a lesson in the tradeoffs between number of bits and
sampling rate?

I know of one special case.  If your ADC is only 1 bit, you don't have to
worry about AGC.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.