[time-nuts] Question about DDMTD deglitching

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Sat Feb 22 18:00:26 UTC 2014

Hi

When you do any of these delay line based gizmos, you get some very strange outputs. Flip flops go metastable, edges don’t quite arrive in the right sequence. If all you do is look for solid ones or solid zeros you don’t get a lot of data. Counting the ones and counting zeros is another approach.

They calibrate the devices by random pulses and then categorizing the result. By deciding that all buckets with the same number of 1’s and 0’s in them (plus some other stuff) are equal, they get more hits per bucket. That gives more data in less time.

The implicit assumption is that buckets with equal 0’s and 1’s (and what ever else) are equal to each other time wise. Another related assumption is that buckets with fewer 0’s and more 1’s are slower (or faster depending on the structure) than ones with more 0’s.

There apparently is some strong data somewhere suggesting that this is all true.

Bob