[time-nuts] comparing two clocks

Volker Esper ailer2 at t-online.de
Sat Feb 22 17:50:08 UTC 2014

Jim,

If I get you right, you want to compare the 10MHz outputs (not the
1PPS). As Jim and Bob told us so far, the thing is to provide, that
input A _always_ starts before input B (or the other way around).

Connect the signals to an oscilloscope, and check, how much the phase
differs - if the rising slopes occur close together, put some
meters/yards of coaxial cable into one of the two signal paths. 1 meter
is roughly worth 5ns - while the period of 10MHz is 100ns, 1m cable will
phase shift about 18 degrees. I didn't verify, if the coax cable (with
it's microphonic effect) affects the ADEV - does anybody have experience
with this? Otherwise I'd have to fire up my counter and have a
measurement on the run...

Of course, inverting one signal will do as well. If you do it with extra
electronics that definitely will affect the ADEV. I find it much easier
to use some meters of cable.

Ok, my counter is heating up by now...

Volker