[time-nuts] Thermal Compensation: Digital vs Analog

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Feb 26 16:23:34 UTC 2014

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 08:09:44 -0800 (PST)
Bob Stewart <bob at evoria.net> wrote:

> I've been experimenting with digital thermal compensation on my GPSDO.
> The results have been favorable for a 14 bit dithered PWM-based DAC, but
> leaves a bit to be desired in the big picture.  And it takes up a lot of
> program bytes on my PIC..  What's the general consensus on this?  Should
> thermal compensation be completely analog?

Out of pure interest. Could you elaborate what results you got?
Ie. what does your GPSDO look like? How do you compensate for the
temperature coefficient? How much did that improve performance
compared to non-compensated operation? Did you try any other approaches?
Why? Why not?

Yes, i'm a curious mind :-)

Thanks in advance

			Attila Kinali