[time-nuts] Serial port splitter s/w

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Feb 26 16:51:54 UTC 2014

I'm running Meinberg NTP on the Windows 7 x64 machine to which my
Thunderbolt is attached.

I'd like to be able to share the serial port between LH and NTP so that I
can run the machine as an NTP Stratum 1 server locked to the TB, and also be
able to use LH to check things.

I looked around the with Google, and saw *numerous" serial port splitters.
Which is recommended?

Also what's the best way how to configure NTP to lock the the TB on a serial
port?  Do I need to modify the TB to deliver the PPS down one of the serial
data lines or will NTP work well by parsing the NMEA time messages?

Many thanks
David Partridge
=====================================

David,

Can't comment on the COM port splitters.

For best results with NTP you need a PPS signal on the RS-232 DCD line.
Using NMEA alone is often worse than just Internet sync.  Look for a white
flash with my Serial Port LEDs program:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/software/net.htm#SerialPortLEDs

The pulse needs to be rather more than a few microseconds - 100-200
milliseconds is typically used.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu