[time-nuts] Serial port splitter s/w

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 20:05:19 UTC 2014

> Chris, even with Wi-Fi connected computers, mostly running Windows, there
> is a huge difference between talking to a stratum-1 server on my LAN
> compared to running just Internet servers.  Our experiences differ, as I am
> on a cable modem connection from the UK's Virgin Media.  Folks need to
> measure what performance they are getting and choose their own best path,
> otherwise it's guesswork.

Yes, exactly.  It depends entirely on your internet connection.  As soon as
you get even "slow" 10Mb/s fiber the distinction between LAN and Internet
starts to melt away.  The problem with Cable TV is that it is a shared
connection with who knows how many others.  Shared media have collisions
with back off and retries and are not deterministic.

I do have a local NTP server.  I had one back in the days of dial-up phone
modems and still have one with my current fiber connection.  I was just
pointing out that the local NTP server is less useful as the Internet
connections get better.

Every few years I get motivated to improve the NTP server.  The next step
is for certain going to be to use the ARM's PRUs somehow.   That would
remove the effect of the OS from timing which is now the largest source of
error.

> Cheers,
> David
> --
> SatSignal Software - Quality software written to your requirements
> Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
> Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California