[time-nuts] 5370 processor boards available

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Thu Feb 27 13:24:54 UTC 2014

On 2/27/2014 6:38 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> They generally don't mount their filesystems read/write, but only
> read/only.
>
> I've done similar things with FreeBSD in many systems (see: nanobsd)
> but I don't have time or clue to figure out how to do that with Linux.

The way TiVo does this is to have a RO / partition, and a RW /var
partition. Normally, any writing is done in /var. If it gets corrupted,
it gets rebuilt at boot time. But, they don't have to deal with user
account and changing config files (those are stored outside the Linux
partitions).

But, the concept could be easily extended so perhaps / is only RW during
short times when changes which need to be non-volatile are made. (soft
link /tmp to somewhere in /var, too)

> I belive that "busybox" is somewhat akin to nanobsd, but don't know
> how to get that onto the BBB hardware.

bb is just an all-in-one binary, which provides many "standard" *nix
commands, often in a form just different enough from the gnu coreutils
and POSIX specs to screw things up when you're not watching.