[time-nuts] Serial port splitter s/w

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Feb 27 16:11:02 UTC 2014

A number of people have reported issues with the Raspberry Pi Ethernet
hardware when used for NTP, as it is actually a USB-Ethernet bridge and the
drivers may not be all they could be. I have not had problems myself but I
do not run NTP on it.
The Beaglebone Black (BBB) is supposed to be better in that regard since the
Ethernet MAC is directly on the CPU. The BBB is also entirely open source,
unlike the proprietary Broadcom CPU on the RPi.

Didier KO4BB

Didier,

Here are the results I saw when using Ethernet sync for NTP on a Raspberry
Pi:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Raspberry-Pi-NTP.html#results

Syncing just from my Cable Modem WAN connection it's quite bad (offsets +/-
3 milliseconds), but when syncing to local stratum-1 servers the offsets
were reduced to something slightly in excess of +/- 20 microseconds.  Adding
PPS reduces that to a couple of microseconds (with Linux 3.6.11 compiled as
a non-tickless system) as seen further down under the "Current performance"
heading.

Perhaps there are equivalent graphs for the BBB system somewhere?

The Raspberry Pi is sufficiently open that you can recompile programs, and
even recompile the kernel for it.

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu