[time-nuts] 5370 processor boards available

cheater00 . cheater00 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 17:36:58 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 6:22 PM, Scott Newell <newell+timenuts at n5tnl.com> wrote:
> At 11:03 AM 2/27/2014, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>
>> Seriously:  Keeping the computer alive and eating power is
>> silly.  We just need to find out how to get the Linux configured
>> correctly.
>

> Exactly. We use the PC-Engines ALIX x86 single board computer stuff at work,
> and even I didn't have too much trouble getting a pretty much stock Debian
> installation 'adjusted' to run with the CF card mounted as read-only. I've
> yet to see a problem with power cycles. (But I've only done the power cycle
> bench test a few hundred loops.)
>
> --
> newell  N5TNL

My assumption is that, unlike an embedded computer which is
plug-and-forget, this thing will get modified, developed on, played
around with, etc, all of which includes userland software (= possibly
long shutdown times) and disk access (= possibly long shutdown times).
It's trivial to run a read-only system but that's limiting and takes
out the fun of tinkering with the BBB to make your own applications
and other stuff.

You might say that we could run the stock system RO and add any
user-supplied stuff to RW media and just say that it isn't going to
survive a power-down. But that's not really a comfortable situation.

D.