[time-nuts] 5370 processor boards available

Didier Juges shalimr9 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 14:20:46 UTC 2014

If you use a flash-based embedded ARM board, how much is it worth to you that it works everyday? How much is it worth to you that you do not have to rebuild it once a year or once a month?

I have several of them and I corrupted one a couple of years ago. It was not something that was on 24/7 and it was not a power outage. I turned it off myself and it did not come back. Fortunately, it had a pretty much stock distribution on it and it was easy to rebuild. I am more careful now. Yet, my Raspberry Pi is on 24/7 and it survived the many storms we have had in the last 2 months (Florida is the lightning capital of the world, as they say)

It is perfectly OK to not care, but most of us are used to equipment that powers up each time you need it and that only requires to flip the power switch to off when you are done. It is bad enough to have to properly close Windows (replace with your favorite OS, they all have similar requirements) and most open apps when you are done before turning the switch off on your desktop system.

The fact that it may do it 100 times in a row and not fail is not great consolation if it fails at 101. It is a documented failure mode, not pie in the sky.

It is only an issue with regard to your own expectations. Do not disparage people who expect more of the hardware than you do.

Didier KO4BB

--
Sent from my Motorola Droid Razr 4G LTE wireless tracker while I do other things.