[time-nuts] Why using HP5370 ext-ref is (maybe) a bad idea

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Feb 28 23:06:18 UTC 2014

In message <53110BC6.6010109 at rubidium.dyndns.org>, Magnus Danielson writes:

>Also, as I have told before the board doing the 10 MHz logic spews out a
>lot of 5 MHz with overtones, which is a simple mod away.

I remember you mentioning this, but I never did the mod on my counter,
got anything I can search for in the mail-archive ?

>Would be interesting to see if you could trim these systematics down by
>tweaking the syntesis chain.

It is not obvious to me that the 200MHz multiplier is involved in
its own capacity, it may simply be that the 200MHz is slewed across
the input signal and that the zero-crossing jitter therefore moves
into the window where it matters ?