[time-nuts] The Best way to Mark the New Year...

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Jan 1 11:06:49 UTC 2014

kyrrin at bluefeathertech.com said:
> 	For us, watching the rampant lunacy on "New Year's At The Needle"
> (referring to the Seattle landmark), and chuckling at how much latency there
> is between the local TV station's countdown and our clocks. ...

Thanks for the heads up on the latency.

I checked my watch before heading off to a party tonight.  My watch is 4
seconds fast.

When midnight rolled around, I watched as the whatever-it-was on the TV
counted down.  They had a small box with a 2 digit number counting down.  It
showed 18 seconds to go when my watch showed 00:04.

------

Maybe next year we should see how much delay data we can collect.  That's in
addition or instead of collecting leap second data.  The usual ball drops at
local midnight so you have the time-zone offset to separate collecting
leap-second data and midnight-TV delay data.

Do any TV stations carry serious time info?  (maybe on part of the retrace
info)

I didn't check the channel or even notice where the big event was.  The party I was at was in Silicon Valley.  The TV might have been showing a replay from New York City, or maybe a "live" local event.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.