[time-nuts] Measuring TV delays

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 2 22:18:54 UTC 2014

On 1/2/14 11:56 AM, Chris Albertson wrote:
> When they broadcast "live" TV like from a sports vent I wonder if the time
> code generated by the camera is preserved?  But then even if it were the
> time might have been set manually to match the display on the camera
> operator's cell phone.

Depends on how the "live" feed is derived. If it's an analog signal,
there's no "time setting" involved.  If it's B-roll from a GoPro, then
yes, it's based on the camera person's watch.

> Same for scenes with clacks in the background.  Do you trust them to be
> on-time?   They might even have ben intentionally set wrong to hide the
> transmit delay.

Unlikely that they'd fool with clocks in the background.  Why would they
care (except if they're faking the 1969 moon landing or something.. then
they've got enough budget for someone to make sure the clocks in the
fake mission control read correctly).

They DO have people to set the clocks in filming for subsequent editing:
it's just part of "continuity" like making sure cigarettes are the right
length, the ice in the glasses has melted the right amount, etc.

Not a job I would want.