[time-nuts] Measuring TV delays

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 2 22:40:28 UTC 2014

On 1/2/14 2:33 PM, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX wrote:
> Why didn't they make the color burst an exact multiple of 60 Hz?

Round numbers and such

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorburst

has a nice description..

The whole thing of backwards compatibility and squeezing the maximum
amount of information into the bandwidth was really quite amazing..
For instance the whole thing of encoding the chroma as I/Q, but with
different bandwidths for I/Q, and with a weird matrix of RGB to YUV, all
to minimize the visible defects from non-ideal signal paths.

And you had to be able to do it with off the shelf cheap equipment in
the 1940s.